Battery System Simulation Engineer Intermediate
Windsor, ON, CANADA |
- The Battery System Simulation Engineer Intermediate is responsible for working with electrified & hybrid powertrain (engines, transmission, battery & motor) engineers, including controls and calibration, to proactively drive ePT system level design and optimization through virtual analysis tools.
- Responsible for developing 1D/3D simulation models, methodologies and processes from physical principles for high voltage and low voltage Lithium-ion batteries (cells, modules, pack).
- The expected job responsibilities will include, but not limited to;
- Develop, test and correlate high-fidelity physics-based models for high/low voltage Lithium ion batteries for electrified and hybrid powertrains (equivalent circuit, electrochemical, coupled with thermal models etc.)
- Develop aging models for HV Li-ion batteries to predict pack degradation over a wide range of operating conditions
- Simulate vehicle drive cycles, battery resting, charging at different environmental conditions to predict usable energy and power
- Drive design using Computer Aided Engineering tools (Matlab/Simulink, GT-Autoline, Ansys Fluent, COMSOL, etc. ) to meet the component & system performance, efficiency, durability, and reliability
- Provide components design direction, and control strategy development & optimization through System Integration
- Execute advanced projects for new methodology and process development
- Document procedures, and write technical/progress reports.
- Coordinate between different release groups, global simulation teams and suppliers to identify risk and communicate virtual engineering results.
- Master of Science in Applied Physics, Electrical/Electronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Industrial, or Computer Engineering, or related Engineering, or Applied Mathematics field from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in automotive powertrain area
- Minimum of 1 year experience with battery cell/pack simulations or experiments in Matlab/Simulink, GT-Autoline, Ansys Fluent, COMSOL, etc.
- Hands-on experience with electrochemical modeling, degradation model, and heat transfer
- Good understanding of electrochemistry, lithium-ion battery cell and module design and knowledge of battery performance such as degradation, energy, power, and safety
- Excellent organizational skills and effective communication skills w.r.t. technical issues - both verbal and written
- PhD in Engineering
- Experience with system modeling and analysis of electric and hybrid powertrain or vehicle level systems
- Experience in calibration, HIL, experimental tests or vehicle/engine performance simulation, electrification PT (ePT) Systems
- Notes: Remote with some travel to US for meetings